Play the midi!
You want to ditch twitter for some reason? Perhaps censorship, dumb users, dumb content, some rate limit, have a problem with some dude's big rocket, or because the logo is an X now and that really ruins your experience? But you still really, really want to use a microblog for some reason?
Lucky for you, the fediverse is here! Decentralized twitter clone! I'll try to help you chose one and go through pros and cons.
Hopefully the one you choose will be enjoyable, whether you join to enjoy the content or endlessly argue about twitter, even after you left twitter... or X, or whatever
Starting off with a Japanese instance. Started off a few years ago, this site aggressively tells you to leave twitter bs at the door
- NSFW is yes
- Twitter tier banter is discouraged, don't bring that here
- Very active
- Posting cats and food is nice
- As of July 30th 2023, registration to westerners is closed. If you have no way to get on a Japanese IP now... sucks to be you I guess.
- Loli and shota are allowed, if you don't like that, maybe this isn't the best instance for you
- Adding to previous point, EU and UK users are out of luck, period
- Lots of activity means your comments might be ignored
- Being an ass will probably get you banned
- Japanese. The interface will default to your region's language, but everyone speaks Japanese since... it's a Japanese instance. There is an onsite translator, but it doesn't hurt to learn sun book speak and use deepl
- Being a Japanese instance, expect to see lots of stuff central to Japan. If you're not much into Japanese stuff, then maybe you can skip this instance
Now onto a mastodon one. Created by Action retro (a tech youtuber who focuses on old mac stuff), this social network is about tech! Mostly old tech! You like old tech? Maybe this is for you!
- Fills niche of retro tech pretty well
- Is a comfy niche community
- From what I observed, doesn't constantly moan about politics and twitter
- NSFW a no, you're going to have to go to YOSPOS for NSFW computer
- You have to be approved, please act natural
- You probably should behave
- Furries, naturally, since it's in the IT field
- Ran by Action retro... I have no problems with him, and can't imagine anyone having problems with him, but it seems like a lot of people have problems with just about everyone these days...
- Since it's run by a guy who is that breed of mac user who knows what he's doing, expect a lot of the userbase to be of that breed of mac users who know what they're doing
- *nix dudes
I don't know much about this one desu... is it even federated? I'm putting this here because I'm sure someone is going to be angry about this not being here. Personally I hate Jack Dorsey.
- Jack Dorsey
- invite only
- Jack Dorsey
- Literally just twitter but different name, expect culture to be like twitter and most of the activity probably just moaning about twitter
- Jack Dorsey
Again, don't know anything about this one, but see this mentioned a lot, so I'll include it
- Most of the community didn't drop their twitter BS, so expect the same twitter BS, and people endlessly moaning about twitter
- I expect that the rules are dumb
Just like Disneyland, this will always be under construction. I'll add some more here, but they'd have to be worth talking about.